Monday, October 17, 2011

Schedules and Routines

…oh how I love thee! I have a mental schedule for everything in my life-exercise, cleaning, laundry, eating/cooking etc. With the addition of our precious Maggie they have all been thrown out the window. For me, I think that schedules and routines have become almost presumptuous. Let me explain. I want to know that if I clean the bathroom from top to bottom on Friday that I will be able to clean the bathroom in the same exact way at the same exact time the next Friday. Instead of enjoying the fact that my bathroom is clean this Friday I worry about the next time I will get the bathroom clean. Will I be able to fit that in next Friday? Will I be able to clean the walls and scrub the tub? Will I just have to do a quick wipe down? Yes, these are the things that go through my mind. It is just ridiculous and petty, but it is very real to me. I do this in most areas of my life. With exercise, I go and run 3 miles. Instead of being satisfied I start planning and worrying about how I will fit the next 3 miles in. With cooking, I don’t enjoy the fact that I made dinner tonight. I worry about how I am going to get it done on Thursday.

God does not promise us a predictable schedule. He wants us to be focused on today:

Matthew 6:25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Isn’t there more to life than food and more to the body than clothing? 26 Look at the birds in the sky: They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you more valuable than they are? 27 And which of you by worrying can add even one hour to his life? 28 Why do you worry about clothing? Think about how the flowers of the field grow; they do not work or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these! 30 And if this is how God clothes the wild grass, which is here today and tomorrow is tossed into the fire to heat the oven, won’t he clothe you even more, you people of little faith? 31 So then, don’t worry saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ 32 For the unconverted pursue these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But above all pursue his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.

Schedules and routines can be so helpful to remain organized. However, for me I need to learn to revel in the hourly and daily successes and not worry about all I have to get done tomorrow, the next day, or next week. For this time in my life I need to let it go! Lord, please help me to be able to focus on today and not worry about tomorrow!

2 comments:

Stef said...

Amen, Jess! What a good reminder.
This has definitely been a year filled with God reminding me that HE knows best and His plans are far better than mine. Starting with moving us 2 states away from the life we've always lived {definitely NOT in our plans} to smaller everyday things, to larger, sadder trials, like losing unborn babies. All ways He reminds us of the real purpose we're here, what we possibly idolize and what's most important to us.

Have you ever read the book "Mom and Loving It" ?
Very cheap on Amazon, easy reading type of devotional and its really good. Two ladies from church are reading it with me and then we get together once a week and go over the discussion questions. I think you'd love it!

Sarah Moulton said...

very interesting. I totally get what you are talking about! Although I'm different in a few ways, I don't worry about when I'll get to it next, but I definitly take it all on and allow it to control my attitude and how I view my life by my success and failure. I'm so glad God doesn't see me like that!
I read Stef's post and laughed because I had a book suggestion for you too:) I'll have to look at Stephs I've never heard of it. I think I've mentioned "Loving God WIth All Your Mind" by Elisabeth George before but we are almost done reading through it for BIble study and man she nails our though lives exactly. I have found a lot of freedome through her writing and I think you would to. She takes scripture and applies it to our lives like Phil 4:6-7.
I'll be praying for you.love ya :)