Wednesday, April 11, 2012

An Affordable and Memorable Gift Idea

Years ago I remember helping my Grandpa get ready for the 4th of July. He was getting his American Flag out of the garage, and I commented on the great quality of his flag. He mentioned that the flag was flown over the US Capitol on his and my grandma’s 40th wedding anniversary.

Well, fast forward about 7 or 8 years and Abe and I were getting ready to get married. I remembered my grandpa’s flag and thought it would be neat to have a flag flown on our wedding day. I placed my order, and our flag came about 6 weeks later. It sat in a box for a long time, but I found a way to display it our home. Our flag plus a window from my parents’ house equals and extremely special wall hanging in our home!

Wedding Flag

 

The great thing about these flags is that they are extremely affordable to order. It is only $17.30 for a 3’x5’ cotton flag or $28.05 for a 5’x8’ flag. We have the smaller one, and it is plenty big. They are GREAT quality flags. We have 2 couples in our church getting married in the next 2 months. I am going to order them a flag for their gifts. My friend who used to work at the US Capitol mentioned that they order them for each of their children for the date of their birth. I think it could be an awesome shower gift. Just fill out the form, attach a check, and put the form in a card for the parents to mail in once the baby is born and the birthday is known. It could also be good for a special anniversary, milestone birthday, graduation, etc.

Here is how you go about ordering your flag:

1. Find your US Senator or Representative here or here. We live in California, and I just chose a Senator (these women are not my choice for Senators, but I have not control over that…blech!)

image

2. Go to their website.

image

3. Find the order form. Now this part might vary by the member. You might have to do some searching around. You can always send them an e-mail or give them a call if you can’t find the form. I went to “Constituent Services” and the link to the form was found there.

image

I scrolled down to find and clicked “read more”:

image

4. Complete the instructions to order the flag. One thing to mention is that the orders can only be placed 6 weeks in advance. Make sure you don’t send in the forms too early.

image

The order form:

image

I am going to complete the forms and send them off. Their flags will come in the mail to them a few weeks after the wedding. I hope the new couples will enjoy their flags as much as I enjoy ours. If anything they will be ready for the 4th of July Smile

No comments: