Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Our “new” headboard

A few months back when my Grandpa and I were collecting wood from the collapsed barn we collected enough wood to make quite a few pieces of furniture. I think we made a total of 4 trips, and we came home with AMAZING wood. There are some HUGE beams left that are probably 10x10s or 12x12s. I am keeping my eye on them and trying to determine if we should go get them and just save them.

After the light fixture and coffee table were completed, we moved onto some headboards. One for our room and one for Maggie’s big girl bed that she will use down the road (no where near ready to let her out of a crib).

I found a few examples of barn wood headboards online and on Pinterest. This one was my favorite and it came with some pretty good instructions:

My Grandpa, Dad and I brainstormed. We chose our wood, and pieced it all together. My dad had the idea to use the two posts we had chosen and route out some grooves for the headboard to slip into. It worked out perfectly. My grandpa put it altogether, and then we gave it 3 coats of Minwax Polycrilic (Satin finish).

Here is our finished product. The pictures really don’t do it justice. It is beautiful!

IMG_0108[1]

Up close:

IMG_0131[1]

IMG_0147[1]

Post:

IMG_0153[1]

I am looking forward to using Maggie’s twin headboard. It turned out just as beautiful! The wood is simply amazing, and is a piece of art all by itself. We enjoyed changing the bedding and some decorations to compliment the new headboard. It really brightened up our room. A much needed redo of our room!

13 comments:

SwishDesigns said...

Looks GREAT! I like it even better than your inspiration (and that was good too)!!!

The Abe Green Family said...

Thanks, Donna!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, I love this Jessica!! Another beautiful reclaimed wood creation. What's the final finish like? Does the satin finish help smooth it out? Fun chevron quilt too!

The Abe Green Family said...

Thanks, Kelly! The Satin Polycrilic "seals" the wood. It does smooth it out and prevent splinters.

Stef said...

Jess, this turned out great! I think yours looks better than the one you were referencing.

Britt said...

Where did you find the bedding for the first bed? It looks like a crochet blanket? I love all of it.

The Abe Green Family said...

Hi Britt,

It is actually a quilt. It was a set that I purchased from the Home Shopping Network. Here is the link:
http://www.hsn.com/home-decor/happy-chic-by-jonathan-adler-zigzag-100-cotton-3-piece-coverlet-set_p-6596943_xp.aspx

It looks like it is out of stock, but you might give them a call and see if they plan on re-stocking it. I really love the quilt. I have already washed it a few times and it turns out very nicely. The shams are ok. They aren't super high quality, but no terrible either. Happy shopping!

The Abe Green Family said...

Oops! You were talking about the bed from Design Sponge. I am not sure where they got there comforter. I think I have seen something similar in Pottery Barn. Good luck finding the quilt!

Britt said...

Thank you so much! I will look into both websites :)

Sarah at 508 said...

i just saw this post and i think your headboard turned out beautifully- so happy to provide some inspiration and love seeing how it turned out!

as for our "bedding"...it is just a crochet blanket and some white sheets! it was handed down from my grandmother. the euro shams, however, are from ikea.

erikamckenzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
erikamckenzie said...

Hi! I love how your headboard turned out :) I was wondering, how did you collect the barn wood safely and did you have to let it dry inside before using it? We have an old collapsed barn on our property but the planks are still nailed together and I have no idea how to start collecting it. Thanks!

The Abe Green Family said...

Hello! Thanks for the compliment on the headboard. I am jealous that you have a collapsed barn on your property. So cool!

We were careful to gather wood that was fallen onto the ground. We didn't walk under anything that could fall on us. Watch out for rusted nails.

We used a chain saw and cut along the parts that were nailed. We cut on the inside of the nails on both sides of the boards and that would eliminate having to dislodge the board from the nails. If that didn't work, we used a hammer and crowbar to get the boards loose.

We had a dry winter last year, so our wood was pretty dry. We didn't let it dry out. May not be a bad idea if you have had a lot of rain already this Fall.

Hope that answers some of your questions. If not, please let me know and I will try to clarify.

Please come back and show me your finished product:)